Preserving the Place You Cherish
George Washington Carver Alumni Association (GWCAA) consists of past graduates and the George Washington Carver Regional High School alumni. It is a 501(c)(3) organization established in 1968 and was chartered in 1972. The organization is currently registered in Washington, DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
What GWCAA Do
Before 1948, young American-African students experienced extreme difficulty obtaining high school education in Culpeper, Greene, Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock.
Culpeper and Orange counties had a secondary program. Still, the offerings were very limited, that some parents paid for their children's school enrollment elsewhere to guarantee their school admission. No educational program was offered for Greene, Madison, and Rappahannock counties beyond the 7th grade. The children of these counties were forced to gain a high school education elsewhere at their parents' total expense.
School Proposal for African-American Children
In 1946, the struggles between African-American citizens of all five counties and the threat of legal action led to a regional secondary school being explored for the governing bodies. Greene County then withdrew from Albemarle County and voted to merge.
The other four counties agreed that a regional high school meets the criteria and gives the counties substantial economic benefits. In 1946 it was listed in the deed information above the representative of Orange County proposed to the regional group (Culpeper, Madison, and Rappahannock). It is stated a resolution to request the approval and allocation of funds from the Governor of Virginia (Gov. William C. Tuck) to build a regional high school for these counties' African-American children.
Madison and Rappahannock counties have no high school facilities for Afro-Americans. Orange County has one four-room high school for Afro-Americans, housing at present 125 Afro-Americans, and the high school facilities for Afro-Americans at Culpeper are inadequate.
The Regional Board of Control said high school, assembled at Culpeper, Virginia on October 11, 1946, urged the Honorable William M. Tuck, Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, to approve the allocation of $75,000.00 to this project. They wanted to proceed with their plans to erect the high school building for Afro-Americans of the four counties earliest.
George Washington Carver Regional High School
George Washington Carver Regional High School, named for one of America’s greatest scientists, an African-American who revolutionized agriculture and economically saved agriculture in the South. The school opened its doors Friday, October 1, 1948, to 452 students.
1949 Yearbook 20 Teachers List
Physical Plant Expanded
With the dramatic enrollment growth, the school’s physical facility was extended soon after its opening with the addition of eight classrooms and a gym. The New Farmer of America Chapter was named after The first Agriculture teacher, Mr. Overton Rexford Johnson. Mr. Robert L. Barnes wrote the Alma Mater. The next year they got a physical education teacher, Mr. Wilbert L. Lovett, and a band director, Mr. Elmer F. Sampson.
State & National Level Recognition
George Washington Carver Regional High School quickly gained recognition on the state and national level. Its highly motivated and dedicated students distinguished themselves in high school activities, colleges, universities, citizens, and workplaces.
Two Decades of Service
In 1967, George Washington Carver Regional High School closed its doors as a high school with 19 years of service. From the yearbooks, over 4,500 young students had grace in its classrooms, and under 1,500 graduated.
During the 19 years, these young students moved to the cities. A third of eighth-graders completed the five years at GWCRHS, but they made significant contributions to their communities and the nation.